A few months ago I was asked - alongside approximately 300 other artists from all over the world - to create a work for the Glasgow Children's Hospital 33rpm auction. Of course you wouldn't say no to that!
HollyHock is the alias of Mirjam Wagensveld (1975): I am a printmaker and stencilartist and live and work in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
The 'femme fatale' is often a theme in my work. I mainly make colorful portraits of women, who often come across as somewhat mysterious; you don't know what they think. My art is made using different (mixed) techniques: with the stencil technique and with screen printing. Both are completely different techniques and it becomes even more fun when you combine these techniques. I make my work in small and limited editions.
Some of my work is available at 1DROP Gallery (USA) and Galleri Gunther (Norway). See also the 'gallery' section of my website. Also a selection of prints of my work is available at Art Heroes (Dutch: Werk aan de muur). Affordable (and free shipping) original painting, screenprints and linoleumprints are available at Etsy.
The alias 'HollyHock' is inspired by Alcea rosea, a flower which grows very well in an urban environment: I love the combination of the colorful flowers in urban environments like Rotterdam and Amsterdam. I find it similar to the appearance of colorful streetart in urban environments (and I also like to stick my work in places in public (urban) spaces! Maybe you have come across my work on the street in Amsterdam or Rotterdam?). So my alias HollyHock was found.
Feel free to contact me for information and inquiries. Or/and follow me on social media:
RELEASES & EVENTS
- October 2023: 'PJ Harvey' album cover for Glasgow Children's Hospital Charity Auction
- June 2022: 'Femme fatale', 1DROP Gallery
- June 2022: 'Forever blowing bubbles', 1DROP Gallery
- May 2022: 'Daydream Flip', 1DROP Gallery
- January 2022: 'I know it's over', Galleri Gunther
- December 2021: 'Sophia', Galleri Gunther
Previous exhibitions & events
- June 2023: Unity in Diversity Art Market (Schiehaven, Rotterdam)
- 30 May 2023: 1DROP Gallery Group art show (All street Gallery, New York, USA)
- 27 April 2023: Kingsday @ Hotel New York (Rotterdam)
- October 2022: Group exhibition 'Layered realities', Mesh Print Club (Rotterdam, NL)
- July & August 2022: Group exhibition 'Queens', Go Gallery (Amsterdam, NL)
- July & August 2022: Group exhibition 'Outside looking in', Mesh Print Club (Rotterdam, NL)
- April 2022: Group expo Art booster Neck of the woods III (Rotterdam, NL)
- April & May 2022: 'Brighton Rocks 2022', POP Gallery UK (Brighton, UK)
- April 2022: Group expo 'Eigenheimers', Kasteel van Rhoon (Rhoon, NL)
- December 2021: 1DROP POP UP (New York, US)
- July 2021: Golden Ei Gallery (Weisweil, Germany)
27th of april is Kingsday in the Netherlands and Hotel New York organized a huge Kingsday party (or in Dutch: Oranjefeest). PONK and I were asked to make a painting in this theme and who else than King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima could we portray!
For a while I wanted to focus on giving workshops. At first I was mainly thinking of giving stencil art workshops, but the possibility to give a screen printing workshop presented itself earlier.First of all there was 'Class of experiences' by planga for the streets (P4TS), an event in collaboration with Urban culture center Quardin, Hogeschool Rotterdam, Mesh print club and Municipality of Rotterdam. Its third edition took place on March 19, 2023.
Yesterday I visited the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. It was the last weekend of the exposition 'Golden boy' about the work of Gustav Klimt: "Gustav Klimt (1862-1918) is one of the most fascinating artists of western art history. He is world-famous for his golden and decorative paintings and his portraits of strong women. But who was this ‘golden boy’, and what is the story behind his talent? You perhaps know Klimt’s work, but have you actually seen it?"
People of Print wrote an article about me and my work.